There are plenty of amazing things to do in Hpa An, one of the best destinations in Myanmar. Whether you have just a day or two, in this post you will find Hpa An itinerary perfect for the time that you have. If you are traveling alone, you can plan your trip based on these Hpa An itineraries because I spent over a week exploring Hpa An alone.
Karst Limestone mountains, beautiful Myanmar countryside, historic caves, Buddhist caves and hiking to the mountain tops for gorgeous views – these are the highlights of Hpa An.
So check further to pick your Hpa An itinerary!
Best Hpa An Itinerary
1 Day in Hpa An Itinerary
One day in Hpa An is not enough honestly, but you can still get glimpses of this charming town by covering the highlights.
Assuming you have a full day, you can begin early to make the most of your time. It is best to explore the attractions around the town first, so you can comeback and enjoy nearby attractions later.
Start by exploring Kyaut Ka Latt Pagoda, the mystic pagoda perched on the top of a cliff in the middle of a lake, surrounded by beautiful mountains and green fields.
Next, head to Saddan Caves, one of the most popular caves in Hpa An. The views from this cave are stunning.
You can then check out Yathae Pyan & Kaw Ka Thaung for more caves or maybe one of them. But don’t miss visiting Bat caves during the sunset if possible. If it looks too packed, you can skip Kaw Ka Thaung.
You can plan all these in a single day on your own or book tours. You can rent a motorbike and go on your own, or sign up for a tour.
If you want to make the most of your time, I’d highly recommend a guided group tour.
2 days in Hpa An
2 days would let you experience Hpa An better.
Day 1: You can check out Kan Thar Yar and Shwe Yin Mhyaw Pagoda within the town and head to Kyaut Ka Latt Pagoda and next to Saddan Caves caves or either one of these. Spend the evening climbing Taung Wine Pagoda for amazing sunset views.
Day 2: You can rise early and hike to Mt.Zwegabin. Spend the day checking out any of the caves.
If you are looking for a short trip from Yangon , book this 2-day guided tour of Hpa An, which includes transport and sightseeing. Best to go with this if you want to travel comfortably.
3 days in Hpa An Itinerary
3 or 4 days in Hpa An would give you enough time to get to know the city. You can go with the above itinerary for 2 days or read the alternatives below.
Day 1: You can keep this as a Caves day and explore the four caves starting from Saddan, Kaw Ka Thaung, Yathae Pyan Cave and ending with bat caves to be there around sunset for the Bats phenomenon. You can choose between Kaw Ka Thaung and Yathae if you feel overwhelmed by caves though.
Day 2: You can rise early and hike to Mt.Zwegabin. Come back to relax for a while and then head to Kyaut Ka Latt Pagoda. In the evening you can see the wonderful sunset views from Taung Wine Pagoda.
Editor’s note – 5 Day Trips From Hpa An That You Can Plan
Day 3: You can visit the lesser-known attractions today like Loon Nya Blue lake and Kyar Inn Hill. I would suggest visiting Kyone Htaw Waterfall as a day trip from Hpa An.
Is Hpa An worth visiting?
I should have answered this at the top, but the answer is absolute yes. Hpa An tourism is booming rapidly and is one of the few destinations devoid of scams or tourist traps yet.
You can check out the list of amazing places to visit in Hpa An in this post.
Hpa An tips for Solo travelers
Myanmar can be slightly expensive compared to other countries in SE Asia, but there are ways to travel on a budget. Here are some of Hpa An travel tips and tricks.
- This one is a generic tip if you travel solo like me. Make some friends in your hostel or find someone to share your bike ride so that you can cut down the price to half along with getting to meet new people on the road.
- A great way to get discounts while hiring a bike is to book for multiple days. If you have no driving experience, it’s better to opt for tuk-tuks. Driving in SE Asia requires practice and the streets of Hpa An countryside are bad and even get muddy around the monsoons. Stay safe while driving.
- Similarly, the best way to save some money is to share a tour with many people. If you are in a group or a couple wanting to travel comfortably, taking a tuk-tuk from your hostels are economical.
- Carry a torch while hiking to Mt.Zwegabin as there are no lights early in the morning. Also, take care of your steps and belongings.
- Accommodation prices are higher in Hpa An compared to tourist destinations and there are limited too. One way to cut cost is to look for those offering complimentary breakfast, which would save you some bucks. Also, if you stay in hostels, they come with a kitchen which would allow you to fix your lunch or dinner.
- It is safe for solo travelers as well as anyone to travel in Hpa An, but keep in mind the general rules of staying safe.
- Compared to other countries in SE Asia, Myanmar is relatively traditional when it comes to attire. While it’s still okay to wear shorts or short-shorts in cities like Yangon, Hpa An is conservative. Also, cave temples and pagodas require modest dressing, where you need to cover your shoulders and knees. Tight jeans are not allowed as well.
How many days in Hpa An?
How long to spend in Hpa An depends on what you want to explore. I would recommend spending at least 2 days in Hpa An, which would allow you to experience Myanmar’s authentic countryside.
You can alter your Hpa An itinerary based on your preferences. If you prefer nature, you can add more caves or more temples if you love Buddhist pagodas. You can also add boating trips during the peak season.
What is the best time to visit Hpa An?
When planning your Hpa An itinerary, avoid monsoons at any cost as the region is prone to flooding. The rains begin in July and are in full swing through August and even September.
From the end of October to February is the best time to visit Hpa An. All the glowing greenery right after the monsoon is a treat to the eyes in October or November.
Booking Hpa An tours
You can book various Hpa An sightseeing tours at your guesthouses or hotels. Galaxy motel is the popular choice for booking different Hpa An day tours or day trips from Hpa An.
You can easily book these tours online, which comes with easy cancellation, last-minute availability and consists of amazing English speaking guides.
Click below to check out the tours you would like to opt.
Travel Insurance for Hpa An
I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance, which is required if you are traveling to Myanmar for some countries. It’s a good idea to have travel insurance in case something goes wrong.
Check out the quotes below
- Everfun Hydration Backpack – Your Perfect Companion For Outdoors - November 25, 2022
- 25 Best Things To Do In Bodega Bay In California - November 20, 2022
- 19 Things To Do in Pescadero For a Perfect California Getaway - November 19, 2022