Planning a trip to Myanmar? Then, what is the best time to visit Myanmar? You should know that first. Because I didn’t give this much thought and faced the most torrential rainfall I have ever encountered. I don’t want this to happen to you. In this post, you can find out the best season to explore all the places in Myanmar. Read further before chalking out the trip itinerary.
Best time to visit Myanmar – Summary
Winter is the best season to visit Myanmar, from October to February. The monsoons would have ended at the beginning of October. The days become less hot and manageable because the humidity is bearable. The weather turns pleasant as the evening progresses, and you will have cold nights at this time.
Myanmar has a tropical climate combined with humidity, so you will be sweating during the day, no matter the time of the year. In winter, however, the moisture is at the best level, making the months from October to February the best time to travel to Myanmar
But there are slight exceptions regarding the best season to visit Myanmar. Read ahead to find out.
Best time to visit Myanmar – When not to go
Months to avoid: March to May
The summer begins at the end of February, and from March, the weather turns super hot. The heat and accompanying humidity are intense, which is at its worst during this time. Summer in Myanmar lasts from March to May, sometimes even until June. So if you want to know what time it is in Myanmar to avoid, it is during these months.
Months to avoid: June to September
Myanmar is prone to heavy rainfall every year. Floods and landslides are frequent in all the regions, leading to road closures, cancelled flights, and delayed buses – In short, many inconveniences.
Now you know that October-February is the best time to visit Myanmar, let me break down by regions and months what to expect.
Best Time to Visit Myanmar by Regions
Although the best time to visit Myanmar is the winter months, the location of Bagan in central part makes it hotter than the rest of the regions. This area receives lesser rainfall, so humidity doesn’t subsidize as much as in other regions of Myanmar.
During summer, which begins earlier here in February and lasts until June, it feels impossible to explore the temples during the daytime, as you also have a bit of walking to do. These are the months to avoid visiting Bagan. The best time to visit Bagan is from the end of November to the end of February, when the temperatures become bearable.
You should explore early during the day, preferably after watching the magnificent sunrise over the temples until the hot afternoon sun comes in, and then some around sunset.
Resources of Bagan:
- Best Places to Watch the Sunrise and Sunset in Bagan
- A total Guide to Exploring the Temples of Bagan
- 7 Best Day Trips from Bagan To Plan
- How to Get to Bagan from Yangon?
Inle Lake is located at a relatively higher altitude, which makes it more accessible than the other popular destinations of Myanmar. The hottest months of summer comparatively feel more comfortable at Inle Lake. The temperature reaches up to 32°C, which is better than the average summer temperature elsewhere in the country.
Winter months, especially during December and January, are an excellent time as the days are pleasant and the nights are cold, with temperatures dropping to even 10°C at night on some days. If you travel to Bagan during these months, you might want to add an overcoat to your packing list.
Resources for Inle Lake:
Best time to visit Yangon
Yangon, the capital city of Myanmar, is close to the coast, which means expect higher humidity than usual. Luckily, the weather improves by the end of October, making November to January the best time to visit Yangon.
The temperature is in a manageable range during these months, but make the most of the best times at dawn and dusk by exploring more places at these times. Monsoon months of August and September are to be avoided as the city experience incessant downpours.
Resources for Yangon:
- A Gotal Guide to three days in Yangon(With tips and itinerary)
- 11 Day trips from Yangon That You Should Plan
- A Guide to taking the heritage Yangon Circle Train
Best time to visit Mandalay
Mandalay is located close to Bagan. Hence the weather is similar, which means hotter than the other regions of Myanmar. Mandalay also receives significantly less rain during the monsoon season and remains hot. Plan a trip here during the winter, from November to January, when the humidity becomes bearable.
Resources for Mandalay:
Now that you know the best time to travel to Myanmar, let me share more details on what you can do during these months.
Best time to visit Myanmar by Month – October
October would be the time right after the heavy downpours be over. Greenery will welcome you in southern and northeastern Myanmar, known for paddy fields and Karst mountains. It is also the month when a lot of festivals happen all around.
Thadingyut, the Festival of Lights, is the most popular one celebrated throughout Myanmar. You will see the traditional lanterns at homes and the streets lit. People gather at home, pray and celebrate for three days.
Three festivals happen in Mandalay in October – Dancing Elephant Festival, Kyauk Taw Gyi Pagoda Festival and Bo BoGyi Nat Festival in Amarapura. If you visit Inle Lake during this time, you can witness PhaungDawOo Pagoda and Indein Pagoda Festivals.
An ideal time for Bagan, Mandalay, Yangon and the beaches.
November is the best month to visit Myanmar IMO. The weather is at its best, and many major festivals are celebrated this month in various parts of the country. The most famous is the Hot Air Balloon Festival, or Tazaungdaing Taunggyi, held on Full Moon day in November. It is a dazzling experience to watch the giant balloons filling the night sky with light.
The following big reason to visit Myanmar in November would be the Shwezigon Pagoda Festival, held during the last week of the month in Bagan, where the ancient traditions and culture come alive through dance performances, theatre and recitals.
Best time to visit Myanmar – December
An ideal time for anywhere in Myanmar
December receives many tourists in Myanmar, and rightly so because it is one of those nearly perfect months to be here. As for the festivals, the major ones are Mount Popa Nat Festival at Mount Popa and Candle Light festival at Golden Rock Pagoda or Kyaiktiyo, which can be visited on tour.
Even if cultural celebrations aren’t your thing, you can choose between heading to the mountains near Kalaw or Hsipaw for plenty of hikes or travel south for all the beaches. It is also an excellent time for taking slow boat cruises on the Irrawaddy River. Whatever you prefer, you can do all without worrying about intense heat, humidity or downpours in December.
An ideal time to travel anywhere
Same as December weatherwise, maybe even better in some places. Ananda Pagoda Festival in Bagan happens this month. Good time to hit the beaches as southern Myanmar has ideal temperatures during this time.
OTHER POSTS FROM MYANMAR TO PLAN YOUR TRIP
- 17 Best Bagan Pagodas That You Should Visit (Among the 800+temples)
- How to get from Yangon to Mandalay– Bus or Train?
- Watching Sunrise & Sunset in Bagan – Here is how to do it in 2019
- Ways To Reach Bagan From Yangon in Myanmar
- Offbeat Myanmar – 21 Awesome Things to Do in Hpa An
- Crossing Thailand-Myanmar By Land – Here is a complete guide to do it
- 35 Fantastic Facts About Myanmar That Will Blow Your Mind!
- 13 Fascinating Temples in Myanmar That You Shouldn’t Skip
- 10 Best Beaches In Myanmar That You Should Check Out
- Best Time To Visit Myanmar – What to see & do(By regions & months)
- 5 Day Trips from Hpa An That You Should Not Miss
- Yangon Circular Train – A Total Guide To Witness the Burmese Life (+Tips)
- 3 Days In Yangon – A Total Guide With Itineraries & Tips
- 11 Fantastic Day Trips From Yangon, Myanmar (+ Tips to plan them)
- 17 Awesome Places To Visit In Mandalay, Myanmar (+ Bonus Tips)
- 7 Top Day Trips From Bagan, Myanmar (+ Tips to Plan Them)
- How To Get From Mandalay to Inle Lake In Myanmar
- How To Get From Bagan To Mandalay? – Should You Take The Boat?
- How To Reach From Bagan To Inle Lake in Myanmar?
- How To Get From Yangon to Inle Lake – Should You Take The Bus?
- 20 Most Beautiful Cities in Mexico For Your Bucket List - September 25, 2023
- 7 Fun Places To Enjoy Bungee Jumping In Texas - September 20, 2023
- 7 Places For Bungee Jumping In California For Adventure Lovers - September 13, 2023